Now that the first week of class is over (Congrats! You did it!), students should have stopped by the Security Office on Main Campus or Security Desk at the Northern Durham Center or Orange County Campus to order or update their student ID. Please be aware that students without updated Durham Tech student IDs will not be allowed into the Main Campus library starting on Tuesday, Jan. 13, 2015 (see below for more information on the ID policy).
However, a current student ID doesn’t just get you access to the books, DVDs, computers, CDs, and other perks of the Durham Tech library– it also can get you discounts at local and national chains, both in-person and online.
Locally (click on the links for more information):
- Need some drama in your life? Durham Performance Arts Center (DPAC) offers up to two tickets at a discounted rates for students of all ages with a valid student ID.
- Free bus fare for most students via the Triangle Transit GoPass.
- Movie buff?
- AMC Theaters at the Streets of Southpoint has discounted movie tickets for students on Thursday nights
- Northgate Theaters offers a $1.00 discount per ticket with valid student ID
- Carmike Cinemas offers a student discount (click pricing info on the linked page to see details)
National chains with local presences:
- Like Macs? Apple offers education pricing for students
- Are you a PC? Check out Dell, Microsoft, and HP‘s student shops.
- J. Crew stores and factories offer 15% off purchases with a valid student ID presented at check-out
- Moe’s Southwest Grill (call locations to get details)
(Be sure to check at national chains to see if they’re currently honoring student IDs as policies may vary.)
Investigate for yourself using the following lists:
- Business Insider’s “34 Discounts Every Student Should Use“
- PuckerMob’s “70 Things You Can Score with Your Student ID” and their additional list of “54 UPDATED Things You Can Score with Your Student ID“
- RatherBeShopping.com’s “50+ Places Where Students Get a Sweet Student Discount“
Good luck and happy saving!
More information on the student ID policy: Students may sign in at Main Campus library one time per semester with an alternate form of photo identification and proof of their current enrollment (syllabus, textbook, etc.). Current students may not sign in as guests— their names will be checked with the one-time pass list, and they will be denied entry if they have already used their pass this semester.
Please note that Durham Tech students taking classes on other campuses must still have a current student ID in order to enter the Main Campus library.