NC LIVE recently added two new online science resources: McGraw-Hill’s AccessScience and Gale’s Science in Context. Continue Reading →
Check out our current window display showing off Durham Tech’s Faculty and Staff Best Books of 2014! Want to read something we don’t have or that’s checked out? Ask a librarian about getting it via interlibrary loan.
Click on a book for more details.
The Top Picks:
Other Best Reads:
For a complete faculty and staff best book list, click on the following link to view the PDF: Durham Tech Faculty and Staff Best Books of 2014.
Films On Demand is a streaming video platform that features high quality educational video content. The collection includes more than 20,000 films and is constantly growing! The collections include award winning documentaries, instructional and vocational training videos, interviews, archival primary source materials, historical speeches, newsreels, and videos aligned with college curriculum. Subjects include automotive, business, economics, health, medicine, humanities, social sciences, mathematics, natural sciences, and vocational trades. Also included are travel and fitness programming, how-to videos, and popular music and dance performances.
Some of the benefits and key features of the platform include:
- Films are segmented into easy-to-use clips
- Powerful browse & search tools
- Ability to share, save, and organize videos and custom playlists
- Closed-captioning and transcripts on thousands of titles
- HTML embed code that allows direct access to videos from Sakai
- Email alerts can be set up under preferences for a particular subject or discipline when new content is added
- Citation options
- iPad friendly
Explore Films on Demand today! Create a free account to get started. Let the library staff know if you have any questions. The helpful user’s guide will orient you to this new resource.
Now that the first week of class is over (Congrats! You did it!), students should have stopped by the Security Office on Main Campus or Security Desk at the Northern Durham Center or Orange County Campus to order or update their student ID. Please be aware that students without updated Durham Tech student IDs will not be allowed into the Main Campus library starting on Tuesday, Jan. 13, 2015 (see below for more information on the ID policy).
However, a current student ID doesn’t just get you access to the books, DVDs, computers, CDs, and other perks of the Durham Tech library– it also can get you discounts at local and national chains, both in-person and online.
Locally (click on the links for more information):
- Need some drama in your life? Durham Performance Arts Center (DPAC) offers up to two tickets at a discounted rates for students of all ages with a valid student ID.
- Free bus fare for most students via the Triangle Transit GoPass.
- Movie buff?
- AMC Theaters at the Streets of Southpoint has discounted movie tickets for students on Thursday nights
- Northgate Theaters offers a $1.00 discount per ticket with valid student ID
- Carmike Cinemas offers a student discount (click pricing info on the linked page to see details)
National chains with local presences:
- Like Macs? Apple offers education pricing for students
- Are you a PC? Check out Dell, Microsoft, and HP‘s student shops.
- J. Crew stores and factories offer 15% off purchases with a valid student ID presented at check-out
- Moe’s Southwest Grill (call locations to get details)
(Be sure to check at national chains to see if they’re currently honoring student IDs as policies may vary.)
Investigate for yourself using the following lists:
- Business Insider’s “34 Discounts Every Student Should Use“
- PuckerMob’s “70 Things You Can Score with Your Student ID” and their additional list of “54 UPDATED Things You Can Score with Your Student ID“
- RatherBeShopping.com’s “50+ Places Where Students Get a Sweet Student Discount“
Good luck and happy saving!
More information on the student ID policy: Students may sign in at Main Campus library one time per semester with an alternate form of photo identification and proof of their current enrollment (syllabus, textbook, etc.). Current students may not sign in as guests— their names will be checked with the one-time pass list, and they will be denied entry if they have already used their pass this semester.
Please note that Durham Tech students taking classes on other campuses must still have a current student ID in order to enter the Main Campus library.
Check out these new books we have for 2015 for up to three weeks at a time. If one of these doesn’t catch your eye, find more on our New Books Bookshelf next to the circulation desk at the Main Campus Library.
We have some great new DVDs in our collection! These and others can be checked out for one week at a time.
These items can be checked out for three weeks at a time.